Location & History:
It is located on the south Lebanon, 7 km away from the city of Tyre (SUR) and 23 Km from north Palestine.
The history of Rashidieh dates back to year 1936 when it was established to receive a number of Armenian families during the French Mandate of Lebanon.
In 1948 the camp turned into a Palestinian refugee camp. Rashidieh camp was heavily affected by the war in Lebanon and the Israeli invasion of 1982, which resulted a great part of the camp destruction.
The camp population is approximately 27000 live in one square kilometer. The people inside the camp are suffering from poverty and deprivation from their human and civil rights. The camp's inhabitants are only able to work in seasonal agriculture and construction
There is no sewerage network in the camp and sewage flows into open ditches along roads and pathways.
The center started its activities in 1987 inside a rented house. In 1994 a new building was constructed and the center relocated there. However, due to additional programs and activities a new building was erected through the financial support from Japanese Committee for the children of Palestine (JCCP), NORWAC from Norway and Fluchtlingskinder in Lebanon from Germany.
Programs and activities
- Family Happiness Project (Sponsorship)
- Dental Clinic
- Vocational Training for youth
- Remedial classes
- Reproductive Health
- Embroidery program for women
- Drop out school
- A special Cultural exchange project with Norway focusing on Music and Drawing
- Art and Cultural activities
- Recreational activities